Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dutch Pantry


My love for the open road started as a kid, on our road trips from Silver Creek to Florida. We'd cram into our car (usually a Buick) and head out into the cold. Quite often our route would take us across Pennsylvania on the Turnpike to Breezewood, where you had to get off the turnpike onto US 30 before you could get onto I-70 to head south toward warmth. In any case, whenever our travels took us this route, we'd always stop for something to eat at Dutch Pantry. Ahh, the memories! The place was something like an early PA Dutch version of Cracker Barrel, with a more northern down home menu. Bean and ham soup, and those awesome Apple Fritters! I can still taste them! I wish I could take my kids there now, although I'm sure the place wasn't as good as I remember. Funny how as a kid there are certain things that develop lasting memories. They are probably not the things that parents think will be remembered. I'm sure Mom and Dad planned those trips with an itinerary that would be fun and build memories...things like the beach, Silver Springs and Cypress Gardens. Those places HAD to be fun, but I don't remember much about them. But I do remember the Dutch Pantry!

No comments: